- Phone Number
- The name of the device which we are using
- The operating system which we are using
- Our Location
- Our IP Address
- The Language we are using on the phone
- The mobile network
Facebook will use all this information to target us with personalized advertisements.
What things Whatsapp will not share?
The things which Whatsapp will not share are:-
- Whatsapp cannot see our private messages or hear our calls and neither can Facebook.
- Whatsapp will not share our contacts with Facebook.
- Whatsapp will not share the logs of who everyone is calling or messaging.
- Whatsapp cannot see our shared live location and neither can Facebook.
- Whatsapp shall not share any data regarding private groups with Facebook.
After backlash by all the communities world-wide, Whatsapp themselves have clarified these things in a series of tweets.
Why can we not sue Whatsapp?
We cannot sue Whatsapp because there is no law in place to govern this kind of privacy violations. And as there is no law, WhatsApp can do whatever it wants with the data as it is a private entity.
If we use a private platform to do anything, it will be that entity’ owner’s decision on how he wants us to use it. Many countries across the world have strict privacy laws which applies even on private appslike whatsapp. That’s why Whatsapp has not introduced this policy in the European Union region and the UK.